Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Another day...

October 12, 2010

Well, we went a full day with power on Monday (10/11). It was the first day since September 28th that we had a full 24 hour period with electricity. We were praying for 2 days in a row, but it didn't happen! The power flickered around 9:30 this morning and went out completely at about 7:45pm. It is still extremely disappointing when the power goes out, but I was very upset tonight because I had a load of laundry in the wash machine! The washer doesn't work when the power is out, even on the generator! Thankfully, I had put it in early enough that it was on the last rinse cycle so at least they were clean! I got to take my sopping wet clothes out of the machine and wring them out by hand into the bathtub. I know most Jamaican's do their laundry by hand because they do not have the luxury of a wash machine. I am learning to be thankful for the "little" things that we take so for granted at home.
Yesterday I stayed in bed almost all day. I have been fighting this sinus/upper respiratory junk for about 3 weeks. Joel gave me some antibiotics on Sunday night and after 2 full days on them, I am feeling much better. I had the strength, energy and patience (almost) to have school today with Dean and Ian. They were very well behaved! I bribed them today with a movie! They got all their work done and were on their best behavior for the majority of the day! It is getting better!! Then this afternoon while they were watching the movie, I got to spend some time planning for the rest of the week. It was a productive day. However, while they were watching the movie, I also got my calendar out to start looking at possible return dates and started having an anxiety attack. It was a rough one that lasted for several hours. Thankfully school was over and I could get away for a little bit. I came back to my room and hid out on my porch with my computer. I got to talk to a couple very good friends who encouraged me and helped me calm down. I have not had this high of anxiety in almost 2 years! Hopefully in these next couple weeks with Chad and Dina coming, I will be able to get some fresh perspective. Speaking of Chad and Dina, Grandpa Chad comes tomorrow! We are all pretty excited that he is coming. We won't tell him that though! :)

3 comments:

  1. i feel for you being sick while you're there. it is so hard because life in that little home can be so demanding. i was really sick too once with bronchitis so i was quarrantined to the apartment and put on pink chewable children's antibiotics. also, i know how it is losing power there too. it can be so frustrating and even scary...you will get through it though. things will change, they have to.
    just remember it will pass! you seem like you're doing your best to get into a good mindset through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - that made me laugh.... good thing I didn't see it until I got home. ha!

    Miss you all already. "Grandpa Chad"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - for some reason, my Google account always posts as "Robin's Nest" when I sign in - has something to do with the Google group, but not sure why - it's really me...Chad

    ReplyDelete